How does this affect company pages?
The latest change doesn’t bring dramatic changes in terms of organic reach, but from now on all posts posted by friends will appear higher in the News Feed, while company posts will appear lower.
What does this mean for companies and marketers?
The truth is Facebook is trying to make the scrolling experience as pleasant as possible for normal users. So, company pages need to accept their posts will appear on a lower position in the News Feed. At the same time friends’ posts like videos, photos, status updates and links will appear higher.
The new change also affects the kind of posts you’ll see from your friends. The visibility of stories of friends liking or commenting on a post will decrease (like the example post in the above image). And on less crowded News Feeds, it’s possible to see more content from the same source even in succession.
Will this affect your page?
According to Facebook: “The impact of these changes on your page’s distribution will vary considerably depending on the composition of your audience and your posting activity. In some cases, post reach and referral traffic could potentially decline. Overall, pages should continue to post things that people find meaningful.”
We recommend all companies to keep an eye on the reach of their posts and, if they are not doing so yet, to start implementing the Facebook Best Practices if they notice a decrease in the post performance.
What can you do to maximize your page’s rank for the New Algorithm?
1) Post frequently
2) Share links, photos, and a variety of content
3) Upload videos to Facebook with a call to action
4) Create content with social context in mind
5) Tag other pages in your Facebook posts
6) Host a Q&A
7) Build around your stars – whether TV talent or writers or public figures
8) Use Trending to find popular topics on Facebook and post about them
9) Embed Facebook or Instagram posts in your website
10) Add the Like and Share buttons to your website and mobile apps
11) Add Open Graph and App Links tags
12) Add Facebook Comments to your website
Don’t forget to read our article about the Top Tips for Beating the Facebook Algorithm.